Sunday 29 December 2013

Radio Logo Evaluation: Buzz

Buzz:
I think Buzz represents pop music and the pop genre in general. I chose this genre for Buzz because pop music is known to be very active and upbeat, and the name buzz sounds very active and energetic. So i wanted the connection of upbeat, active and youthful tunes to be shown in the name of the station. Also this type of music is made by DJ's and on computers; in short they are often made electronically on software's. Also buzz sounds like a word to describe electricity; as in electric buzz. To show more of the energetic side of the station.

The target audience for my station would young people around the ages of 18 or older. I chose this age group as my target audience because a lot of people in that age range often go to night clubs where a lot of music in the pop genre is played so people can dance to the music. Also a lot of young people at the ages of 18-25 are very active and energetic, as young people are often thought as. This would be the reason why our music would be upbeat, so that it can seem youthful and active to the listeners.

To aim to my target audience I made the logo eye catching with bright colours to grab attention of the target audience I'm aiming for. For this particular logo the colours I used were: blue with a yellow glow. The bright colours were added to look eye catching and to be appealing. The choose of colours were used to reflect upon the lively and active nature of the station and the music they broadcast. Given how the genre of of choice is pop music, i felt that communicating the energetic feeling of the station was important to gain the attention of the audience for this type of music. I also added the lighting strike in the logo so the image can show that the radio station is very energetic and active, which will help reflect on the upbeat tone of pop music being broadcasted.

I think the main competitor against my radio station would be Capital radio. I say they would be the main competitor against my station because Capital plays pop music as its main genre of music that the station plays on a daily basis; and i as I said before pop music would be the genre of choice for this particular station.With that said Capital uses the same genre of music in order to aim to the same young target audience that Buzz will try to aim to. However my station will stand out by playing older pop songs as well as the new ones, rather than just being limited to only the latest hits.

For this logo I wanted to create a look that was eye catching and a logo that would show our target audience what genre of music our station plays which is: upbeat music, currant chart music and big club anthems. This logo would also appeal to a young audience a round the ages of 18 to 25 who would be the age group would enjoy listening to the music this station will broadcast, so it would appeal to that age group. 

First of all I started to find a suitable font from Dafont.com. I looked for different style for fonts that were: trendy, pop style font. I decided to use the font i used for my previous logo which was called Buzz saw. I decided to use the same font in this logo, so I could make sure the connection between all the logos as clear. After I imported the font on to Photoshop I then typed Buzz onto a blank photoshop document, coloured the Buzz word in blue; I then messed around with the size thickness of the word itself changing it until I had at the right size. After I've finished with the word I moved on the rest of the logo. 

I made a lighting bolt shape with the customs shapes tool on Photoshop. I made the size and width smaller and wider in order to match up with the buzz word I just created, I linked the two later shapes together as if the bolt was striking the Z in buzz. This being done in order to show how lively the station is, as well as the music that's being played at the station.



After i did this i then added a thick line under the logo in order to make the logo look neater. I made this using the rectangle in the custom shapes selection on Photoshop and adjusted the size, width and length until the logo look right. After i did that i coloured the line blue to match with the logo.


I then added an outer glow to make the logo eye catching.  This was the same reason I added the outer glow around the lighting strike. I also did that to show the club style with bright lights and colours being present, as shown with the bright colours I used which makes the logo stand out and grab the eye of our target audience.


Overall I'm very pleased with how the logo came out after drawing the design on paper. I feel it came out looking very well when compared to the design i drew for it. Since starting to create the logo using Photoshop I've added extra features to the design. The main new feature I've added to the design is the outer glow around the logo itself. the reason for adding the glow helped me give the logo of being a club type logo and helped make the logo itself more eye catching to look at. In short this helped me achieved my desired effect for my logo.

When i asked my audience for feedback on the logo they said it fits well with the pop genre. They said they liked the glows around the brightly coloured logo, because it makes the logo stand out very well and is very eye catching. Also they said that it reminds them of the bright lights shown at clubs and discos. Overall the audience did agree that this logo did fit well for the genre.

When i was creating my logos on Photoshop i have developed some of my Photoshop skills. First of all I've developed some of editing skills on Photoshop with tools like the lasso and the magic wand making of my work look neater and in proportions. Also I've improved using layer filters in terms of changing colours, brightness, outer glows etc. Not only that but I've developed some of my skills of identifying genres for the station options i was given, and to create and develop ideas solely based on those station names and what I could figure out from the names i was given for the stations. Such as genre, style of music etc.

This logo compares to the other two I've created in two major ways: The first feature is the font which was used, and the second design feature is the design that each logo has. The design and look is used by all three logos, which includes the name of the radio station, and a shape representing the name; such as Buzz having a electric bolt; because buzz can be related to electricity. While other examples include Lock having a key at the end of the logo.I've also kept the font of each of the three logos the same. This was so it can be clear that all the logos are connect with each other as they are meant to be.

If i was to add anything new to the Buzz logo in order to improve it, i would've added a background, to be exact i would've chosen a dark coloured back ground like black. The reason i would add this to my logo is so the bright colours and glow around the logo and the lighting bolt could stand out further against the dark background colours. Because at times the edge of the logo's outer glow looks like its blending into the background when i put the logo onto a blank document. This would be the same improvement I would add to my other two logos.


No comments:

Post a Comment